Standardized way of extracting additional build-time artefacts (was: Re: RFC: Standardizing source package artifacts build paths)

Simon McVittie:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2020 at 20:45:13 +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> Simon McVittie:
>>> For example, dpkg-buildpackage could perhaps read one glob per
>>> line from debian/artifacts and hardlink matched files (if any) into
>>> debian/.build/artifacts for collection by a "larger" framework like
>>> sbuild or pbuilder, or individual packages could copy/link files into there
>>> as they go, or debhelper build-system classes like Autotools and Meson
>>> could know the names of common log files from their build system, or
>>> some combination of those.
>>
>> Though, can you elaborate a bit on why the above approach would be
>> better than a standard ENV variable a la AUTOPKGTEST_ARTIFACTS and some
>> easy way to declare additional artifacts to be extracted?
>
> Mainly, I'd prefer something declarative with glob patterns (a bit like
> debian/clean or Gitlab-CI's artifacts:paths) rather than having to write
> logic like these pseudo-patches:
>
> [...]

Ack, I get the part of having a declarative mechanism for selecting files.

Just to clarify something related.  Should debhelper and other tools by
default archive "certain files of possible interest" (e.g. config.log)?
Or should we limit it to "on request only"?

The former makes it simpler for people that are interested in the
"default" parts but also bloats the archive for people that are
interested in just one file.

> I don't have any particular opinion on whether artifacts should be
> collected into debian/.build/artifacts/, into $DPKG_ARTIFACTS/, or
> directly into some sort of archive (Gitlab and Jenkins seem to use zip
> files, which have the advantage of being seekable, so web frontends
> can presumably read individual logs directly out of the zip file if
> that's desirable).
>
>     smcv

Thanks for clarifying.  This answered the question I was trying to write. :)

~Niels