Re: Recurse depends from archive snapshot

Thank you, Josch,

I'm not trying to re-implement apt.  I'd actually like to use the apt and dpkg libs.  I'd like to use it in an 'offline' manner.  Meaning, outside of debian container or environment.  I'm attempting to build debian containers without the need to run the docker daemon.  managing deb package dependencies has been a difficult part of this.  Thanks for your `dose-ceve` idea.  The graphing capability is really cool.  If anyone has ideas or insights about graphing package dependencies without a specific cache, I'd really appreciate it!

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 2:44 AM Johannes Schauer <josch@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

Quoting Dave Schile (2019-10-09 00:56:07)
> I'm looking to start on a project that has a subroutine/function that will
> return a list of all transitive dependencies of a given deb package listed in
> a given archive snapshot from https://snapshot.debian.org/ I would really
> like to leverage dpkg or libdpkg.  I don't have much experience with this
> sort of development so I'm here asking for any insight or tips on how to get
> started.  Perhaps you know of a project that already does this.

     dose-ceve --deb-native-arch amd64 -c patchutils -T deb \
             deb:///var/lib/apt/lists/*_dists_sid_main_binary-amd64_Packages \
             | grep-dctrl -n -s Package '' | sort -u

I would strongly advice you do not re-implement this kind of functionality
yourself if you value your time. It is quite complicated and thus prone to
errors. For example consider complex concepts like versioned provides,
multiarch, architecture wildcard matching and version constraints.

cheers, josch