Recurse depends from archive snapshot

Hello List:

I'm looking to start on a project that has a subroutine/function that will return a list of all transitive dependencies of a given deb package listed in a given archive snapshot from https://snapshot.debian.org/ I would really like to leverage dpkg or libdpkg.  I don't have much experience with this sort of development so I'm here asking for any insight or tips on how to get started.  Perhaps you know of a project that already does this.

Thanks for any help.