[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Repository switch over to Salsa?

On Thu, 2018-05-31 at 18:20:35 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Alioth just shut down. Any news on the move?

Yeah, I noticed, and with it even the redirector is down. :(

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 03:31:00AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Sat, 2018-02-03 at 19:11:42 +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > are you (when?) switching over to salsa?
> > 
> > I'm still not sure yet. I started a wiki page with some of my concerns
> > at <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/AliothEscape>, I should update
> > it because some things have been fixed meanwhile.
> I just rechecked the page and I did not find the answer, just the pros
> and cons of the alternatives.

I started discussing those options with DSA several weeks ago, but after
the initial brief discussion and conversion into an rt.debian.org ticket,
this went silent. Several days ago I asked for redirects for the dpkg.org
domain, but have not heard anything back yet. :/

I'll ping them again, and wait few more days, otherwise I'd like to
decide something by next week at the latest. Probably including an
upload to update URLs, which should have happened in general way
earlier anyway.

> > > Are you reestablishing commit access as it is currently?
> > 
> > This is also something I'm not entirely sure about. One problem I've
> > had in the past is when preparing releases, if someone pushes then it
> > invalidates the current release process, which is annoying. Also
> > something I think I agree with the APT team, which they kind of
> > decided as policy recently with the switch to salsa is that if the
> > committers are not following very closely the project (so both mailing
> > lists and IRC), it makes it more difficult to coordinate or be on top
> > of what's going on.
> I follow the mailing list. Also I strongly follow your commit policies
> (which might be improved, so please let me know). Sometimes I also
> fix some very minor issue in the documentation (like spelling fixes, I
> think I also unbroke other translations previously). 

Sure, for major releases those could be announced more promintently on
the list, to prevent those kind of situation, and I should probably do
that again more often as I used to do. The problem has usually come from
hot-fix releases which need to be pushed quickly after an initial major
release. In those cases being on IRC is very handy. OTOH using the sid
branch for those, which I was not entirely sold on, means no conflict
should arise, in theory, but one of the main reasons for that branch
usage was precisely to just avoid those racing pushes. :)

> > What I've been pondering about is whether switching to a merge-request
> > based workflow for translations, or perhaps even a switch to weblate
> > might work better for everyone?
> I'd strongly prefer the current workflow. Having to switch to a
> (partial) web based workflow would make me seriously reconsider my
> involvement. Also I'm not sure everything I've done so far (like
> stated above or fixes for errors in the (old)stable translation)
> would still be possible then.

Right, I can understand. Would having your own repo (say on salsa or
elsewhere) where you push to, and which I'd have as one of my remotes
(where I already always fetch from all remotes), be a workable workflow?
I'd either notice and then integrate the changes, or a mail could be
sent, in case I've missed some updates? If this would feel too
cumbersome don't hesitate to say, I'm just trying to see the various
possibilities here.

Sven, I'm also interested in your opinion, given that you are the
other active committer.


Reply to: