Re: Line ending issue when "Reading database"

Sven Joachim writes ("Re: Line ending issue when "Reading database""):
> One problem here is that there is currently no option for dpkg to
> suppress the output entirely, see bug #539617[1].  The other one is that
> apt always runs dpkg in a tty, unless an undocumented option is used[2].

I wasn't aware of that latter.  I think that is a bug in abpt.

Maybe once upon a time this was a reasonable workaround for ancient
maintainer scripts, and the need to be able to run apt without a tty.
But those days are long gone.

Would someone care to file a bug against apt, requesting that the
default be changed early in the buster cycle ?

Ian.