Re: Idea: sbuild/pbuilder "--dgit" option

[ avoiding to add any human to the recipients... ]

Hi Ian!

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 08:25:53PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> This is because the default ignore rules (in dpkg-source) ignore
> .gitignore, but dgit needs the source package to contain (any changes
> to) .gitignore.  So dgit arranges that (if you use dgit to do the
> build-for-upload) dpkg-source gets passed -i\.git/ -I.git.

Oh, I've never realized that...

> What would you think (particularly, sbuild and pbuilder folks) about a
> supporting a --dgit option ?  The effect would be to pass -i\.git/
> -I.git to dpkg-source.  (Possibly there might be other effects which
> would be desirable, but this is the only essential one for those two
> tools I think.)

In general, I'm open to that for pbuilder (as I also expressed
elsewhere), as long as it's not going to be documented in the "user
manpage" and we manage changes to that interfaces only between us (i.e.,
I don't want anybody else to start relying on the behavior of that
flag).

> I'm mailing you both at once, with a big CC list, because ISTM that a
> conventional option name would be better than having each tool do its
> own thing.

Much appreciated, thank you.

> Anyway, thanks to everyone for your opinions, whatever they may be.

Here is pbuilder's maintainer view on this dpkg-source "problem":
pbuilder never calls `dpkg-source -b` itself.  The only `dpkg-source`
invocation I found by grepping the source is
    dpkg-source -x $(basename "$PACKAGENAME")
so, not affected by that.
For pbuilder the only thing you can do is to pass
    --debbuildopts --source-option=-i.git/ --debbuildopts --source-option=-I.git
or
    --debbuildopts "--source-option=-i.git/ --source-option=-I.git"
whichever fits you better.

The argument of DEBBUILDOPTS are passed to the main `dpkg-buildpackage`
invocation, which is what might rebuild the source if you're doing a
full build.  I don't think there are no other relevant place you need to
tinker with.

Thank for your work in dgit, and don't hesitate to ask if you need
anything else (including further input).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :