Re: dpkg-buildpackage -ucb

Johannes Schauer writes ("Re: dpkg-buildpackage -ucb"):
> Quoting Ian Jackson (2016-04-28 13:45:46)
> > So "all" means only packages `Architecture: all' ?  Or `all bits of
> > the build' ?
> >
> > Is it too late to change this ?  Maybe `aall' for `architecture: all'
> > and `all' for `everything including source' ?
> >
> > Does `full' mean `all' or `just debs' ?  Maybe the latter should be called
> > `deb' ?
>
> I haven't had a look in the source code by my intuitive understand would be:
>
>  - source: build the source package
>  - any: build architecture:any binary packages
>  - all: build architecture:all binary packages

I guessed that that was what it meant.  ISTM that it's what a Debian
insider would think.

But, I have had some experience recently helping people who are not
very familiar with Debian development build their first packages from
source, and that kind of thing.  I would like it to be easy for a
non-expert user to get the source for a Debian package and build it.

I really don't relish the thought of having to explain to such people
that
  dpkg-buildpackage --build=all
actually builds a small subset of the outputs (and, often, not the one
they wanted).

Can we not manage to use `indep' for this ?

Eg,
   source | src       source package
   indep              arch:all binary packages
   arch               arch:any or arch:<specific> binary packages
   deb | ???          the complete set of binary packages (=indep,arch)
   all                all of the above (=deb,src)

I'm tempted to suggest
   --no-build=src
   --build=no-src
too.