Re: Heads up: Upcoming dpkg-buildpackage -j precedence change

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 08:40:16PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> $ make -jN -f debian/rules build
>
> and
>
> $ DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=N debian/rules build

I prefer the latter behaviour but the former brevity. Would you consider
something like -J in dpkg-buildpackage adjusting parallel= in
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, and perhaps in the future phasing out -j?

> Actually Makefiles that do not support parallel builds and do not
> declare so with .NOTPARALLEL: are buggy, because upstreams do not
> have any standardized opt-in way to honor a parallel build request.

Now that rules files have to be makefiles; I wonder if this should be clarified
in policy, one way or the other. That is: should debian/rules be assumed to
support parallel building by default, or not? I imagine the saner default for
us would be not (even though I am a big fan of parallel builds).

--
Jonathan Dowland