Re: Heads up: Upcoming dpkg-buildpackage -j precedence change

On Sun, 2015-05-10 at 19:56:49 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 18:49:25 +0100, Wookey wrote:
> > I'm happy if you change this - it seems like fixing a bug to me, but I
> > will just throw in this observation from recent arm64 archive-rebuilds,
> > that -j and DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel= are not exactly the same. Is
> > that expected?

Yes, this is expected, there was a bug report recently asking to
clarify this in the man page, fixed in master and will be included
in the upcoming dpkg 1.18.0 release.

> dpkg-buildpackage -j is buggy.

No. This is the equivalent distinction between:

$ make -jN -f debian/rules build

and

$ DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=N debian/rules build

You might not like the behavior, and that is fine, but that does not
make it buggy. (And BTW debuild also sets MAKEFLAGS.)

> It sets MAKEFLAGS whether the package
> supports parallel builds or not.  Whereas setting DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS lets
> the package know it's allowed to use more processes if it wants to /
> can, but doesn't have to.

Actually Makefiles that do not support parallel builds and do not
declare so with .NOTPARALLEL: are buggy, because upstreams do not
have any standardized opt-in way to honor a parallel build request.

Regards,
Guillem