Re: Dpkg's perl parts on CPAN

Hi!

On Wed, 2015-01-14 at 18:17:14 +0000, Ed . wrote:
> I have a "vision" that dpkg's perl stuff will be on CPAN. Benefits:
> * it can be tested during preparation for releases of perl and also releases
> of EUMM
> * immediate access to the results from the CPANtesters network

In principle these sound like really nice things, but I don't see
myself using EUMM in this context to be honest (and in other places
Module::Build probably makes more sense to me anyway).

> Looking at this:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dpkg/dpkg.git/tree/scripts/Dpkg makes it seem
> like a slight restructuring would make this quite easy. Making it work
> properly and be independently installable might take a bit more.
>
> What is the general feeling on this?

To me it seems like duplicating part of the build system and making it
less uniform and/or more complex. The other parts of the codebase will
still need check.am or DPKG_PROG_PERL from m4/dpkg-progs.m4 to execute
the local scripts/dpkg-architecture.pl for example.

This would also imply having to handle two software distributions for
each release.

I actually considered having this at CPAN at some point in the past
but discarded it as not worth it. More so when many of the modules do
require either binaries or data from the main dpkg package.

Hmm, is this something people would find useful? dpkg is available
already from most major operating systems or distributions through their
native packaging system <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Downstream>.

Thanks,
Guillem