Re: Why is dpkg trying to write a file '//..dpkg-tmp'?

Hi!

On Fri, 2014-08-22 at 17:38:21 -0400, sepero111@gmx.com wrote:
> I'm having a problem with dpkg installing packages, but first I need to
> explain my setup a bit.
>
> I have a failover system setup as follows on my machine.

[…]

> So now onto my problem- When I try to install software, I get the
> following error.
>
> ~# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/popularity-contest_1.56_all.deb
> Selecting previously unselected package popularity-contest.
> (Reading database ... 15891 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking popularity-contest (from .../popularity-contest_1.56_all.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/popularity-contest_1.56_all.deb (--install):
>  unable to securely remove '//..dpkg-tmp': Read-only file system
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/popularity-contest_1.56_all.deb
>
> What or where is this '//..dpkg-tmp'? Is dpkg trying to read-write in the
> very root / of the filesystem? I need a way to stop dpkg from doing this or
> work around it.

The «/.» path comes from the filesystem tarball in the binary pacakge
(«dpkg-deb -c» will show you). And dpkg tries to remove any possible
temporary files it might have left behind in a previous run.

But this should be unnecessary with the root directory, and it's
something that has annoyed me for a while, althought w/o any obvious
bad consequence. Knowing that there's cases where this is a problem,
give me an actual reason to sit down and fix it, which I'm planning
to do for 1.17.14.

Thanks,
Guillem