Why is dpkg trying to write a file '//..dpkg-tmp'?

I'm having a problem with dpkg installing packages, but first I need to explain my setup a bit.

I have a failover system setup as follows on my machine.

1. The root / filesystem boots as read-only (squashfs).

2. The following directories are symlinked to /failover/system/[dirname]
/bin /boot /etc /home /lib /media /mnt /opt /sbin /selinux /srv /tmp /usr /var

The real directories exist in those locations (/failover/system/[dirname]).

3. The directories like /proc /sys /run remain in root /.

4. Early in the init process (S00), if a specific USB drive exists, it is read-write mounted over /failover/system/. This provides all new directories, and all the symlinked directories above become read-write. This gives a read-write filesystem. And the init process continues.

So now onto my problem- When I try to install software, I get the following error.

~# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/popularity-contest_1.56_all.deb
Selecting previously unselected package popularity-contest.
(Reading database ... 15891 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking popularity-contest (from .../popularity-contest_1.56_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/popularity-contest_1.56_all.deb (--install):
 unable to securely remove '//..dpkg-tmp': Read-only file system
Processing triggers for man-db ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/popularity-contest_1.56_all.deb

What or where is this '//..dpkg-tmp'? Is dpkg trying to read-write in the very root / of the filesystem? I need a way to stop dpkg from doing this or work around it.