Re: dpkg: error after loading "dpkg -i puppetlabs-release-saucy.deb"

Hi!

On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 10:03:14 -0500, Peng Yu wrote:
> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/puppetlabs_package_repositories.html#for-debian-and-ubuntu
>
> Following the above instruction, I run the following commands.

This mailing list is not really a user support channel, you should try
an Ubuntu user support mailing list instead or preferably the specific
upstream maintainers for the problematic package. Anyway here's some
quick advice, w/o having checked any of the URLs provided.

> $ wget https://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-saucy.deb
> $ sudo dpkg -i puppetlabs-release-saucy.deb
> $ sudo apt-get update
>
> But I get the following errors. Does anybody know how to remove
> puppetlabs-release-saucy.deb and make apt-get work again?

> My OS is ubuntu 13.10. Thanks.
>
> pengy@lithium:/etc/ldap$ sudo apt-get install chiark-scripts
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Suggested packages:
>   tcl8.4
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   puppetmaster-passenger
>   chiark-scripts
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
> 45 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0 B/56.8 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 111 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> (Reading database ... 67820 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing puppetmaster-passenger ...
> ERROR: Site puppetmaster does not exist!
> dpkg: error processing puppetmaster-passenger (--remove):
>  subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>  puppetmaster-passenger

The package is presumably buggy, the correct way to deal with that is
to get upstream to release a new version, upgrade to that and then
remove it. Please contact upstream.

If for whatever reason you cannot wait, then you'd have to edit the
on-disk postrm maintainer script to ignore such error, remove the
package and then deal with any possible fallout, or left over cruft
manually. Very much not recommended if you don't know what you are
doing.

Thanks,
Guillem