Re: Relocatable .deb packages issue

Hi!

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 10:18:05 +0530, prashant tyagi wrote:
> I want to create relocatable .deb packages, but I am getting issues with
> pre-install, post-install scripts. I tried to search the document related ,
> but no luck. I found this link which is explaining behavior but no solution,
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/12/msg00144.html

There's several "solutions" presented there, but none supported
natively by dpkg, because doing that is a mess:

  <http://bugs.debian.org/170850>

> I am able to relocate package without having all these (pre,post ) scripts,
> but when I include these scripts ,

Even if this works, you are breaking your system from dpkg's
point-of-view, because it will not be able to find the package files
on their place, multiple user/relocatable instances of the package
cannot be tracked independently, and you might lose metadata if you
upgrade only some of those instances, and stuff like needed
dependencies might get unsatisfied if that metadata disappears and as
such some relocatable package instances might stop working.

> I got this error..
>
> dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new pre-installation script (b/dpkg/
> tmp.ci/preinst): No such file or directory
>
> I am using following command to install package..
>
> dpkg -i --instdir=<new path> <package deb name>
>
> I am wondering that if it is possible to create deb relocatable package
> with preinstall or postinstall scripts. If not what is the reasons behind
> this..

Several reasons were given in that thread by Loïc and Justin, I've
given others on the above bug report.

Thanks,
Guillem