Re: [SCM] dpkg's main repository branch, master, updated. 1.16.5

On 2012-06-30 06:53 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:

> The following commit has been merged in the master branch:
> commit 951542fdc27e4753dde1edeb3292f136aec355e4
> Author: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
> Date:   Tue May 22 20:02:12 2012 +0200
>
>     Change all programs to accept -? instead of -h for help output
>
>     This switch frees the -h option to be used in the distant future for
>     other purposes, it also uses a character that does not have any other
>     obvious meaning for help output, and which is pretty safe to be used
>     blindly by the user in the same way as --help.

I'm not sure that this is a good idea, and also do not consider it
"pretty safe" since that option has to be quoted to be so.  Otherwise the
result depends on the files present in the current directory and the
shell you use (by default, tcsh and zsh do not even run the command if
there are no matches).

Cheers,
       Sven