off_t and dpkg_ar_member_get_size

Hi,

I was considering to document the functions of ar.c when I noticed a
possible issue in dpkg.  It seems to me that dpkg_ar_member_get_size may
(silently) truncate a "large file" when off_t is 32 bits.  But I admit
being uncertain here as I had difficulties finding a normative
specification of the ar format.

As far as I can tell, off_t is signed[1] and can be 32 bits[2].
According to the wikipedia[3] and <ar.h>, the size of an ar member is
specified as (up to) 10 (ASCII encoded) digits.
  The question is whether or not all 10 chars can be digits or one of
them will always be a space (or other terminator).  I admit having
difficulties finding a normative answer.  I did find [4], which suggests
the file size limit for a given member is 4 GB (implying that all 10
chars may be digits).
  In the case that all 10 digits are usable, then a 32 bit off_t can
overflow when parsing the file size.

The issue is that dpkg_ar_member_get_size does not check for this case
and will cause the "size" to overflow.  In fact, it may even "flow back
into positive" making it impossible for the caller to discover the that
an overflow occured.

~Niels

[1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/systypes.h.html

[2] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/unistd.h.html