Re: Handling of changelogs and bin-nmus

* Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) [120610 20:44]:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >
> > > As such, I suggest that we handle "binary rebuild" differently:
> > > - debian/changelog is left unmodified since it's the source changelog
> > >   => it defines the ${source:Version} substvar
> > > - debian/changelog.binary-rebuild (or any other better name) is created
> > >   when we want to do a bin-nmu
> > >   => it defines the ${binary:Version} and it's not included in
> > >   the generated source package
> >
> > Sounds good to me.  Where would the binary changelog entry and binary
> > version be stored in the resulting binary package?
>
> In the short term, the binary changelog would not be stored in the
> package so that /usr/share/doc/<pkg>/changelog.Debian.gz is the
> same across all bin-nmued package.
>
> Later, it would be stored in the metadata as Guillem suggested (within
> control.tar.gz and then installed by dpkg somewhere under /var/lib/dpkg/).
>
> For the binary version, nothing would be changed (it's in the Version field
> of the control file).

Asking to be sure: For sbuild, that means instead of changing the file
debian/changelog before starting the build, a new file
debian/changelog.binary-rebuild (or however it is named) is created
and from there on all works "by itself"?

Do we have other tools than dpkg that parse the changelog to find out
the package version? How far are we away from getting that
implemented once we decide we want that?

Andi