Re: Handling of changelogs and bin-nmus

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > As such, I suggest that we handle "binary rebuild" differently:
> > - debian/changelog is left unmodified since it's the source changelog
> >   => it defines the ${source:Version} substvar
> > - debian/changelog.binary-rebuild (or any other better name) is created
> >   when we want to do a bin-nmu
> >   => it defines the ${binary:Version} and it's not included in
> >   the generated source package
>
> Sounds good to me.  Where would the binary changelog entry and binary
> version be stored in the resulting binary package?

In the short term, the binary changelog would not be stored in the
package so that /usr/share/doc/<pkg>/changelog.Debian.gz is the
same across all bin-nmued package.

Later, it would be stored in the metadata as Guillem suggested (within
control.tar.gz and then installed by dpkg somewhere under /var/lib/dpkg/).

For the binary version, nothing would be changed (it's in the Version field
of the control file).

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/