Re: Absolute symlinks in deb-packages

On 2012-11-27 15:46, Tobias Eliasson wrote:
> Hi.

Hi,

> I hope this question is sent to the right mailing-list.

I am not sure it is, d-devel might be better but I am not certain enough
to do the actual redirect.

> We're using debian-packages (wheezy) for building our cross-toolchain at
> work.
> One issue we're having is that the symlinks added in deb-packages are
> absolute symlinks.
> For example the symlink libz.so will look like this: libz.so ->
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1.2.7

Not all of them should be absolute.  The Debian Policy states that
symlinks within a "top-level" directory should be relative, where as
symlinks between two different "top-level" directories should be
absolute.  See Policy §10.5[1] and its footnote[2].

> Since we're installing these packages in our toolchain's sysroot and
> distributing to other targets we need to fix these symlinks so that they
> are relative instead.
> That itself is not a big problem. Just another step on the way to produce
> our toolchain.
>
> My question really would be why symlinks in deb-packages are created as
> absolute instead of relative?
>
> Best regards,
> Tobias Eliasson

I believe the footnote of §10.5 explains (one of?) the reason(s)[2].

~Niels

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s10.5

[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/footnotes.html#f91