Absolute symlinks in deb-packages

Hi.

I hope this question is sent to the right mailing-list.

We're using debian-packages (wheezy) for building our cross-toolchain at work.
One issue we're having is that the symlinks added in deb-packages are absolute symlinks.
For example the symlink libz.so will look like this: libz.so -> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1.2.7

Since we're installing these packages in our toolchain's sysroot and distributing to other targets we need to fix these symlinks so that they are relative instead.
That itself is not a big problem. Just another step on the way to produce our toolchain.

My question really would be why symlinks in deb-packages are created as absolute instead of relative?

Best regards,
Tobias Eliasson