Re: Multiarch support in dpkg — really in time for wheezy?

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012, Guillem Jover wrote:
> [ Replying to this now, because it appears some people seem to think
>   mails that go unanswered are considered as accepted facts... ]

Answering mails (when the other side is expecting an answer) is important
when you want to assume the leadership on dpkg maintenance. It has been
one of the major problems between us, and between you and the release
team.

> > Please be a team player. If you can make it, that's great, we will all
> > benefit from extra eyes on the code, especially if they are experienced
> > eyes as yours. But if you cannot make it, please step back and allow for
> > uploads to happen. In case you are not willing to do that, I'd be in
> > favor of having other dpkg co-maintainers doing the uploads the Release
> > Team is asking for. After all, there is nothing that cannot be fixed
> > later in subsequent uploads.
>
> If rushing things out and being sloppy or merging technically unsound
> code is being a team player, then count me out. Also who do you think
> would have had to cleanup that code afterwards anyway, if it had been
> merged as it was at the time? (no one else has either been able or
> willing to do it up to now...)

1/ Nobody rushed anything. The code has been available since march last
year.

2/ I have offered multiple times to fixup any problem that your code
review would have unveiled. So it's not true to claim that all the
responsibilities land on you. The real problem is that you have taken
multiarch under your umbrella as your own pet project, completely
ignoring me and my offers of help.

You have claimed numerous times that the branch was "unsound, buggy"
(implying that I'm crappy coder, etc.) and I would not take offense on
this if you were at the same time pointing out concreate real problems and
if we could have a sane discussion on how to fix them.

But we had nothing like this... don't be surprised then if everybody
is watching you. You have created yourself the conditions that lead
to this pression on your shoulders. Working in the open and giving
clear directives so that other can step in relieves that pression.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer