Re: Bug #583585 dpkg-maintscript-helper

On 06/12/2011 22:19, Gianluca Ciccarelli wrote:

> Thank you Jean-Christophe,
>
> So let me see if I got it. We want all the files in /foo/bar to be
> reachable by a symlink at the same hierarchy level of /foo/bar, named,
> say, `foobar'. This link is such that, if I do `ls foobar', it returns the
> content (files, and directories) of /foo/bar.
>
> I then remove /foo/bar. At this point, what's the link pointing to?

Package v1 has for example a directory /usr/share/mypackage containing a
and bdir.
Package v2 has now /usr/lib/mypackage, with a and bdir.
/usr/share/mypackage is now a compatibility symlink to /usr/lib/mypackage.

I do not know whether the helper script has to move a and bdir or not
(the bug report is a bit underspecified). Thinking again, I am not sure
at all of what to do.

The problem is that right now, dpkg considers a directory and a symlink
to a directory to play the same role, and does not alter the nature of
these. The real dpkg maintainers will correct me if I am wrong. So
manual work is needed if a package maintainer wants to change the nature
of one such item.

Case three in Raphael's mail would be
Package v1 has a directory /usr/share/mypackage containing a and bdir,
and /usr/lib/mypackage a symlink to /usr/share/mypackage.
Package v1 has a directory /usr/lib/mypackage containing a and bdir, and
/usr/share/mypackage a symlink to /usr/lib/mypackage.
I suppose that in this case, the files have to be moved by your script.

Sincerly,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq