Re: Triggers on file patterns (similar to bug #553266)

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011, Sjors Gielen wrote:
> But there's one piece missing: Mac OS X has its own solution for the
> linking of libraries, which conflicts with libtool's "dependency_libs"
> in all .la files (I don't completely know the internals). This has
> always been solved by modifying all .la files that packages install and
> clearing the dependency_libs statement before actually installing the
> .la files. We can't simply patch libtool either, because it's installed
> on the system, not by Fink itself.

Then you will be glad to learn that Debian is dropping .la files when
possible and emptying dependency_libs when not possible.

http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval

In any case, I don't agree that the modification of those .la files
should happen at installation time with a trigger. It's something
that should be done at build time.

To avoid having to modify all packages, I would much prefer that
you provide a patch for http://bugs.debian.org/570934 and decide
to use that new feature to clear dependency_libs in the remaining .la
files.

That way we're not introducing a discrepancy between the installed file
and the checksum recorded in the md5sums file, and we're not pushing the
cost of doing the modification to all users.

Would this work for you? I guess so since you have to rebuild the packages
anyway, isn't it?

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)