Re: Triggers on file patterns (similar to bug #553266)

Hi Sjors!

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 13:30:56 +0200, Sjors Gielen wrote:
> The reason I'm asking is because of the Fink package manager for
> Mac OS X, which uses dpkg and apt extensively. We're in the process
> of upgrading from the ancient dpkg 1.10 to 1.15.

Ah nice, I've looked at the changes done to dpkg in Fink at some point
in the past, and some seemed a bit hackish, or stuff that should be
fixed somewhere else or in a different way. I'd be glad to try to
help reduce the delta you carry on dpkg.

> But there's one piece missing: Mac OS X has its own solution for the
> linking of libraries, which conflicts with libtool's "dependency_libs"
> in all .la files (I don't completely know the internals). This has
> always been solved by modifying all .la files that packages install
> and clearing the dependency_libs statement before actually installing
> the .la files. We can't simply patch libtool either, because it's
> installed on the system, not by Fink itself.

In Debian what's being done is clear out the dependency_libs variable
at package creation time. No need to delegate that step to all
installing systems, just doing it once at build time seems cleaner and
more efficient.

  <http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval>

> What do you think about the feature with this background? :)

I think this is the wrong approach, and you should reuse what Debian
packagers are doing instead.

thanks,
guillem