Re: Multiarch interfaces: print foreign arches, pkgname I/O

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 09:19:55AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 18:14:15 +0100, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> > Beside that i wonder which --force flag this should be, given that it
> > removes packages while it was requested to install others.
> > In a way, the old architecture is disappearing, but there are no
> > Replaces (not even implicit) in place to allow that and the implicit
> > Conflicts wouldn't allow a seamless disappearing anyway.
> > So implementing this sounds for me a bit like black voodoo…
>
> This will be treated like a normal upgrade, the only distinction will
> be that the architecture of the installed package changes, like it
> currently happens on --force-architecture (but w/o the need of the
> option), and only one installed instance can present for this to
> happen.

And that clashes with the view APT has on the universe; pkg:a and
pkg:b are distinct packages of a group "pkg". So for that to work
correctly, APT would need to add some kind of implicit
	Replaces: pkg:other
to the packages. At least IIRC.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.