Re: postinst corrupts my settings after a 'apt-get upgrade'.

votdev@gmx.de writes:

> i have some problems with the package update mechanism in my
> appliance. I have installed various services like
> 'forked-daapd'. Because i wanted to monitor and start the daemon via
> 'monit' i removed the init script from the runlevels via 'update-rc.d -f
> forked-daapd remove'. After a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' (after enabling
> Squeeze backports) i received the package from the backports. The
> problem now is that it seems that the 'postinst' script has registered
> the runlevels again and the process is statred via init.d script and
> monit now.

The basic problem that you're having is that this is not the correct way
to disable an init script in Debian.  The correct way is to rename all the
S* links in /etc/rc?.d for that service to K* links.  If you make that
change, you'll find it's preserved across upgrades and changes.

And yes, that's annoying and there's no good tool in the base installation
to handle it for you, and that's a bug that should be fixed.