Re: Some upcoming dpkg changes, test and feedback welcome

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, Guillem Jover wrote:
> I find having to define DPKG_EXPORT_BUILDFLAGS a bit ugly (less than
> DPKG_DONT_EXPORT_BUILDFLAGS though). What about shifting completely
> the responsibility to the includer over what specific variables to
> export instead. As in:
>
> -include /usr/share/dpkg/buildflags.mk
>
> export CFLAGS CPPFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS
>
> ? Some packages might need to do that in any case, so it seems like a
> nicer interface, with a bit less magic and more explicit.

I would not like to have to hardcode the list of flag variables in
my own packages. IMO it's ok that some maintainers prefer to only export
a few of the variables whose impact has been carefully evaluated but
it should not be imposed. To me it makes sense that any new variable
exported by dpkg-buildflags get automatically used, much like it would
be if I had used the "./configure $(shell dpkg-buildflags
--export=configure)" approach.

So I prefer to keep the choice instead of dropping DPKG_EXPORT_BUILDFLAGS.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)