Re: dpkg-buildflags and makefile snippet

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [110801 08:58]:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > While I wholeheartly welcome adding such a script, I am surprised why
> > it is made so complicated and hard to read.
> >
> > Is there a reason for dpkg_late_eval?
>
> Performance. If the variables are not used, there's no subprocess
> executed.

Is that tiny constant amount worth having files not readable by the
majority of people, even of DDs.

> And once it has been executed, the value is kept (i.e. no
> multiple executions either).

:= is already doing that.

> > And why all the ?= in scripts/mk/architecture.mk?
>
> Because we need to respect the value in the environment if they are set.
> dpkg-builpackage does set them to non-standard values if you pass it the
> -a and/or -t option.

dpkg-architecture already respects the environment,
make does not override values given on the command line.

So the only thing this should protect against is if they are not
in the environment but set in debian/rules as makefile variables
before including this snipped. (Something I see no value in and
if someone wants something like that they can just set it after
including it).

	Bernhard R. Link