Re: dpkg-buildflags and makefile snippet

Hi,

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> While I wholeheartly welcome adding such a script, I am surprised why
> it is made so complicated and hard to read.
>
> Is there a reason for dpkg_late_eval?

Performance. If the variables are not used, there's no subprocess
executed. And once it has been executed, the value is kept (i.e. no
multiple executions either).

> And why all the ?= in scripts/mk/architecture.mk?

Because we need to respect the value in the environment if they are set.
dpkg-builpackage does set them to non-standard values if you pass it the
-a and/or -t option.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)