Re: dpkg-buildflags and makefile snippet

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 12:55:04AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Just for reference, in the discussion I mentionned that dpkg would start
> providing a makefile snippet that helps retrieving the correct value of
> all the build flags, you can see it here:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=commitdiff;h=b858e07bddec28c5b86c39d425a02f08d9bd205a

While I wholeheartly welcome adding such a script, I am surprised why
it is made so complicated and hard to read.

Is there a reason for dpkg_late_eval? And why all the ?= in
scripts/mk/architecture.mk?

Why not simply

CFLAGS := $(shell dpkg-buildflags --get CFLAGS)

and so on in buildflags.mk and

DEB_HOST_ARCH := $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH)

and so on in architecture.mk?

	Bernhard R. Link