Re: Some upcoming dpkg changes, test and feedback welcome

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > bug), and given that those should not really be overridable and I
> > think uncommonly used, they don't seem to belong on the makefiles.
>
> I don't really see the logic behind that statement.

Forgot to expand a bit: the version related variables are commonly used in
"get-orig-source" targets, and it would be nice to factor out the version
splitting logic.

The source package name is often the same as the name of the only
binary package and it's also relatively frequently used to avoid
hardcoding debian/packagename/ everywhere in the rules files.

Thus my personal preference would be to provide something to cover
those use cases.

I did put the distribution too because I have seen GNOME packages checking
that the distribution was really experimental to avoid unexpected uploads
to unstable. But this is really less frequent.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)