Re: dpkg: multiarch symlink not present in fresh installs

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:36:24PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2011, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I noticed this
> > (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/727106) while doing
> > a debootstrap test of natty.  I think we need to be consistent about the
> > compatibility symlink being present, since it's a pain to migrate this
> > from a directory to a symlink, and since I expect there to be software
> > kicking around for a while that relies on it.
> I deliberately added it only on upgrade. I understand you want to keep it
> that way for natty but very few software should look up files directly in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ and those that do should be converted to use
> dpkg-query --control-path.
> $ dpkg-query --control-path dpkg-dev md5sums
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/i386/dpkg-dev.md5sums
> I think it's perfectly legitimate to have the few offenders fixed in time
> for wheezy.

Hmm.  I'm honestly concerned about the inconsistency here; it will
introduce bugs that depend on how the user got there (install squeeze
and upgrade, vs. install wheezy directly), which in my experience we try
very hard to avoid.

> BTW, what's difficult to move from a directory to a symlink?
> $ cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
> $ mv <arch>/* ./
> $ rmdir <arch>
> $ ln -sf . <arch>

A power failure during that process will leave a corrupted dpkg

Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]