Re: dpkg: multiarch symlink not present in fresh installs

Hi Colin,

following up on debian-dpkg@ since others might want to weigh in.

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011, Colin Watson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed this
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/727106) while doing
> a debootstrap test of natty.  I think we need to be consistent about the
> compatibility symlink being present, since it's a pain to migrate this
> from a directory to a symlink, and since I expect there to be software
> kicking around for a while that relies on it.

I deliberately added it only on upgrade. I understand you want to keep it
that way for natty but very few software should look up files directly in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ and those that do should be converted to use
dpkg-query --control-path.

$ dpkg-query --control-path dpkg-dev md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/i386/dpkg-dev.md5sums

I think it's perfectly legitimate to have the few offenders fixed in time
for wheezy.

BTW, what's difficult to move from a directory to a symlink?

$ cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
$ mv <arch>/* ./
$ rmdir <arch>
$ ln -sf . <arch>