[PATCH] dpkg-maintscript-helper(1): dpkg only has to be unpacked for it to be usable
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: [PATCH] dpkg-maintscript-helper(1): dpkg only has to be unpacked for it to be usable
- From: Jonathan Nieder <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:53:13 -0600
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20110301005313.GA5597@elie>
- In-reply-to: <20110228072253.GC6518@rivendell.home.ouaza.com>
- References: <email@example.com> <20110226101609.GA20703@elie> <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20110227124655.GA26082@elie> <20110228072253.GC6518@rivendell.home.ouaza.com>
Some packages use a pre-dependency to ensure a version of dpkg with
dpkg-maintscript-helper is available by the time preinst is run.
Clarify that "available" here means "unpacked", not configured, for
some added peace of mind.
Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <email@example.com>
Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Unpacking is enough. It's just a shell script, there's nothing more needed
> to make it work.
Thanks. How about this patch?
> Until then I advise people to use the protected version (with the if test)
> or to add the pre-dependency (but it's not really needed to discuss it on
> -devel, introducing a requirement to upgrade dpkg early in the upgrade
> process is not a big deal).
Hmm, isn't the policy on pre-dependencies rather meant to avoid
pre-dependency loops? So, for example, it would be a Bad Thing™ if
coreutils acquires a pre-dependency (or dependency, for that matter)
on dpkg for this feature.
I don't see why it's justified to waive the policy §3.5 requirement
here without at least some discussion on the debian-policy list.
debian/changelog | 2 ++
man/dpkg-maintscript-helper.1 | 2 +-
2 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
diff --git a/debian/changelog b/debian/changelog
index e488faf..c34dbd7 100644
@@ -55,6 +55,8 @@ dpkg (1.16.0) UNRELEASED; urgency=low
[ Jonathan Nieder ]
* Remove support for use of synchronous sync(2), due to its pernicious
side-effects and to ease maintenance.
+ * Clarify that an up-to-date dpkg only needs to be unpacked for
+ dpkg-maintscript-helper to work.
[ Updated programs translations ]
* Portuguese (Miguel Figueiredo).
diff --git a/man/dpkg-maintscript-helper.1 b/man/dpkg-maintscript-helper.1
index c01ac78..4cd061f 100644
@@ -110,7 +110,7 @@ abort\-upgrade/abort\-install, the \fBpostrm\fP renames
Given that \fBdpkg\-maintscript\-helper\fP is used in the \fBpreinst\fP,
using it unconditionally requires a pre-dependency to ensure that the
-required version of dpkg has been configured before. The required version
+required version of dpkg has been unpacked before. The required version
depends on the command used, for \fBrm_conffile\fP and \fBmv_conffile\fP
it is 188.8.131.52: