Re: problems with autoreconf

Hi!

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 20:43:17 -0500, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> man/Makefile.am:3: PO4A_V_$(V: non-POSIX variable name
> man/Makefile.am:4: PO4A_V_$(AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY: non-POSIX variable name
> man/Makefile.am:7: PO4A_RM_V_$(V: non-POSIX variable name
> man/Makefile.am:8: PO4A_RM_V_$(AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY: non-POSIX variable name

These are harmless, and probably due to using automake < 1.11.

> scripts/Makefile.am:121: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
> scripts/Makefile.am:126: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension

Those two are also harmless. I've been trying to remove GNU make
extension usage whenever possible, but GNU make is wide spread enough
as to not make me bother if it implies turning the Makefiles into
something way more complex.

> then i tried running the configure script and it broke like this

> checking for bcopy... yes
> checking for memcpy... yes
> checking for setsid... yes
> checking for getdtablesize... yes
> checking for posix_fadvise... yes
> ./configure: line 13869: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
> ./configure: line 13869: `fi'

Most probably that's due to some m4 missquoting.

> I tried investigating why this happens, but I can't find the reason.
> I checked the configure script at that line, and from what I can
> tell this problem is that the if statement never was opened, but
> there is a closing else en fi.Maybe you guys can try and reproduce
> this error, just so that I know that it definitely is a problem on
> my system.

What version of automake are you using? Can you post your configure
script somewhere? Or send it to me privately if that's not possible
(as it's quite huge).

Most of the time the if is there, it's just concatenated with some
other text.

thanks,
guillem