Feature request: Reset configuration

Hi,

I recently read this workaround:

If the dpkg-reconfigure foo doesn't work, use this:

1. Remove or rename the broken configuration file.
sudo mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.broken

2. Request replacements from dpkg.
sudo dpkg -i --force-confmiss /path/to/samba-common.deb

This tells dpkg to replace missing configuration files with those from the .deb. You might find the original package .deb in /var/cache/apt/archives, or you can use a fresh copy of the same version from your distribution's repositories.

dpkg -i --force-confnew foo.deb

That flag only forces dpkg to overwrite the config file if it would otherwise have asked for permission to do so. It does not make it magically recreate pristine config files from the package.

from superuser: How do I get the default configuration from a .deb file? <http://superuser.com/questions/69045/how-do-i-get-the-default-configuration-from-a-deb-file> (quack quixote♦ and Teddy) and serverfault: Linux: how to restore config file using apt-get/aptitude? <http://serverfault.com/questions/82801/linux-how-to-restore-config-file-using-apt-get-aptitude> (TRS-80)

--

This is the workaround needed to reset the configuration of some debian packages who need them. There are also other workarounds (e.g. purge first and ignore dependencies and then install again; e.g. Extract configuration files from .deb manually), but they are ugly and workarounds as well. Or have I overlooked something?

It seems to be an important feature and I propose you to implement this option to magically make the configuration of an package pristine. Come on, everybody will be happy about such feature.

Regards,
Daniel Bock