Re: dpkg-buildpackage question

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Harald Jenny wrote:
> > It should be possible to parse debian/changelog later in the process but
> > I'm not convinced that it's a good idea.
>
> Well to be honest I don't know the script enough to guess what problem a later
> parsing would imply :-/.

The problem is not really in dpkg-buildpackage, but having the version
number changes between the various steps (clean, build, binary) is not a
good idea IMO.

> patch:
>         dh_testdir
>         dpatch apply-all
>         sed -e "$(SED_SCRIPT)" debian/changelog.in > debian/changelog
>         sed -e "$(SED_SCRIPT)" debian/NEWS.in > debian/NEWS

How do you decide of the version number ?

> > What set of commands do you want your users to have to type and where do
> > they get the sources from?
>
> I want to keep it as simple as possible - dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b.
> The source can be downloaded as tar or via git checkout.

You could write a "build-snapshot" target in debian/rules that does:
1/ generate the changelog/NEWS file
2/ call dpkg-buildpackage -b

And you tell the users to call "debian/rules build-snapshot" instead.

Wouldn't that suit your needs?

BTW, I guess most end users do not need the .changes file anyway.

Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/