Re: dpkg-buildpackage question

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Harald Jenny wrote:
> Dear Guillem Jover and Raphaël Hertzog,
>
> sorry to mail you in private but I have a rather "obscure" question
> regarding dpkg-buildpackage

There's no question obscure enough to justify a private question, just use
debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org (or check the sources). Let's continue the
discussion there.

> is it possible to specify in debian/rules
> how dpkg-buildpackage names the .changes file?

No.

> The background: For a upstream package which I test very often I
> modified the standard debian/rules to dynamically create a version entry
> in changelog so that tester can do a quick compile and install. The
> packages itself get named correctly but the .changes files is namend
> unknown.

You don't have a single changelog entry at the start of the build?

It should be possible to parse debian/changelog later in the process but
I'm not convinced that it's a good idea.

In which target of debian/rules are you updating the changelog file?

What set of commands do you want your users to have to type and where do
they get the sources from?

> I know that this usage of dpkg-buildpackage is not really supported but
> as upstream developers tend to suggest people to try the latest version
> it seems the best possibility for keeping systems clean for Debian
> users...

Is the debian directory provided by upstream?

Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/