Semantics of symbolic links with files in dpkg

Recently, I made some tests regarding the behavior of dpkg with respect
to symlinks. This resulted in two bugs:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=574656 and

Before investigating further in this area (I have other tests in mind),
I would like to know if there is an expected semantics of symlinks for
dpkg. I know the "links replacing a directory is a feature" part (which,
if I am not mistaken, fully reads: "A sysadmin may replace a directory
with a symlink, dpkg shall not change it back to a directory in the
future but just follow the symlink").

Sincerly,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq