Re: Roadmap for the 1.15.x series

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Guillem Jover wrote:
> * New perl modules package [libdpkg-perl]:
>
>   - Move Dpkg.pm to libdpkg-perl (= c-rewrite).
>   - Review of all APIs, cleanup, etc.
>   - Document perl modules.
>   - New libdpkg-perl package.

As part of this I also plan some refactoring of how lists of official
fields allowed in {dsc,deb,changes} are managed, some initial ideas
were expressed in

Work will also continue to fix dpkg-dev's bugs and some might have a broad
impact:

- we need to find an acceptable way to provide default values to build
  flags (CFLAGS and al.), given the last discussion it's probably
  by implementing a new dpkg-buildflags tool.
  Related to: #489771

- we need to allow usage of build-arch/build-indep rules for the few
  packages that would really benefit from it
  Tracked in: #229357

- the format of changes files might evolve, two bugs could imply such a
  change:
  #138409: adding build-environment info in .changes
  #65699: let dpkg-buildpackage generate a log file (and possibly upload
  it together with the packages)
  the latter is less likely if we switch to rebuild on all architectures
  (and hence scratch the maintainer uploaded .deb)

Raphaël Hertzog