Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

Hi guys,

I am a bit lost ATM what *I* have to do at the moment?

On Mo, 16 Mär 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> dictate what's done and the other one is a wrapper. The fact that
> the install-info package decided to make it a wrapper too (as opposed to
> "patch ginstall-info to have the desired behaviour") should not change
> anything from our point of view.

Yeah, because when we have fixed up dh_installinfo we can (in squeeze+1)
ship GNU install-info as /usr/bin/ and forget anything else.

Should I edit the proposal email I sent, or is one of you making other
changes, plus the ones suggested in the last emails?

for the wrapper in /usr/sbin and / or /usr/bin? Should we have a common
code base? In fact my /usr/bin/install-info currently is only:
------------
if [ -z "$DPKG_RUNNING_VERSION" ] ; then
  # it seems we are running from outside a maintainer script, so give a
  # warning and call ginstall-info without anything else
  echo "This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info" >&2
  echo "See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments"
>&2
  ginstall-info "$@"
else
  # we are running from a maintainer script, simply ignore the call
  # since we have trigger support and people should rebuild their
  # package with new debhelper which does not add calls to install-info
  echo "ignoring install-info called from maintainer script" >&2
  echo "this package should be rebuild with new debhelper to get trigger support" >&2
fi
---------
which is really simple, maybe too simplistic. But we can iron things out
on the way.

Best wishes

Norbert

ARAGLIN (n. archaic)
A medieval practical joke played by young squires on a knight aspirant
the afternoon he is due to start his vigil. As the knight arrives at
the castle the squires attempt to raise the drawbridge very suddenly
as the knight and his charger step on to it.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff