Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Do, 12 Mär 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Relying on the order inside PATH is too fragile IMO. If you want to have
> > the binary as install-info directly, you'll have to wait until
> > install-info is not used any more by debian packages, i.e. for squeeze+1.
>
> Ok, let me sum up the approach as I understood it:

That looks almost right. I hope Guillem can confirm that it's ok for him
as well.

> We will have 3 different install-info:
>
> 1) /usr/sbin/install-info from dpkg
>   this one will do:
>   . if called with absolute path, warn the user to use
>     /usr/bin/install-info
>   . if called and there is no /usr/bin/install-info give a big fat
>     warning and die. Or?

Dying is not really an option. It might be legitimate that
/usr/bin/install-info is not here: because no info reader is installed.

The Breaks: added to dpkg ensures that info browsers have the right
dependency on install-info. That's enough, there's no reason to die.

>   . Otherwise call /usr/bin/install-info "$@"
>
> 2) /usr/bin/install-info from install-info
>   this one will do:
>   . if called from within a maintainer script (! -z "$DPKG_RUNNING_VERSION")
>     then simply warn that the package should be updated and do nothing
>   . otherwise call simply ginstall-info "$@" (and maybe warn?)

Note: if we really wanted, we could avoid that intermediary wrapper and
have it in dpkg but that would mean that the "install-info" interface is
deprecated and that user are expected to use ginstall-info in the long
term.

If the official upstream name is install-info, then we should rather keep
that intermediary wrapper.

> Ok, I have uploaded 4.13a.dfsg.1-2~exp04 to the usual place at
> http://people.debian.org/~preining/TeX/i-i/ which implements that. What
> is missing is the dpkg part shipping a different /usr/sbin/i-i.
>
> So what do we do next?

I can try to prepare a dpkg patch this WE so that we can test.

But we have to handle the info browsers first before we can upload dpkg.
Which in turn means that the new install info must be available in sid.

Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/