Re: RFC: dpkg-conffile cmdline interface draft

hi again,

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:38:39PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> In the thread to your patch series for conffile tracking I saw
> mentioned that you have:
>
> - current conffile
> - old orig conffile
> - new orig conffile
> - last successfully installed conffile

the current and "old orig" are the only ones that are generally available
on a system when the package isn't being upgraded (i.e. at the end of
package configuration "new" replaces "old").

> Shouldn't one be able to get diffs between basically any 2 of them as
> far as they exist at the time?

in my next rebased branch there's also a "base" version which is the
"last successfully installed" conffile, though i'm beginning to wonder
about the usefulness of this extra copy in practice.  but regardless,
we could add another cmdline option which influences the src/dst diff
selections (-D {origdiff|distdiff|basediff|...}) if it were considered to
be generally useful.

	sean