Re: Architecture in *.dsc files

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 11:19 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Well, but that doesn't answer the more fundamental question.  What does
> an Architecture field like:
>
>     i386 amd64 all
>
> in a *.dsc file mean?  Currently, Policy is silent here.

That the binary packages referenced by the .dsc file include at least
one package that has Architecture: i386, at least one that has
Architecture: amd64 and at least one that has Architecture: all.

> Can "any" ever appear in combination with architectures (if, for
> example, the package builds some binary packages only on some
> architectures and others on all architectures)?

>From dpkg's point-of-view, the answer here appears to be no.  The patch
introducing the feature includes this hunk:

+    if (grep($_ eq 'any', @sourcearch)) {
+       # If we encounter one any then the other arches become insignificant.
+       @sourcearch = ('any');
+    }
+    $fields->{'Architecture'}= join(' ',@sourcearch);

Regards,