Re: Removing obsolete features for the 1.15.x series

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 09:08:16 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 2009, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > Also the same logic we apply for the removal of the substvar support
> > could be applied to most of the “Build options” as well, as those do
> > not make sense in the normal build for official packages (like -U, or
> > -D). So if no one sees any problem I'd like to revert back the status
> > for this from deprecated to supported.
>
> Fine for me but I would still suggest getting rid of the possibility
> to override the Format: field via substvars in dpkg-genchanges. This one
> doesn't make sense and complicates needlessly the code. The format can
> already be overriden with -D.

Sure, I don't have any problem with that.

And actually something we should take a look at some point is clearly
defining the susbtvar override sequences. Right now some cannot be
overriden (like some of the package version ones, or Arch), and others
can (like Tab and Space or internal dpkg versions). I'd say we should
only allow overriding (via command line arguments), only the package
version substvars, and the others should be considered immutable.

> And in that case, we should probably also fix dpkg-source to really use
> some reasonable default substvars file (currently it has none unless -T is
> given, contrary to what --help says).

The problem with allowing that by default is that if the packager
drops a file matching the path (let's say debian/source/substvars),
then we are in fact allowing using substvars by default on the source
stanza of the package, which some of the tools are not going to be
happy about, and I don't think we should be allowing in Debian (at
least w/o wider discussion). So I'd go for just changing --help to
match reality.

regards,
guillem