source and binary package different versions ?

Hi,

If a source package can produce a different binary depending on the libs it's built against, then why not just have a proper version number for the binary package ?
Because here when we just want to rebuild a package, we need to alter the changelog even if the source package doesn't change a single bit, (exept the changelog).

So if the source package is application-x.y.z.0.dsc , the binary package could just have an increment version, like is application-x.y.z.0^1.deb, or an ordered hash code, or the build date.

I am new to packaging, and on some packages I needed to rebuild, I wondered that, and maybe need some explanations to understand why it's not like that, if it's just an historical problem, etcetera.

Mirak