Re: RFC: should there be a dpkg-edit-patch

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > No.
>
> Then I think we at least need a way to make quilt work without
> QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches. Maybe there could be a .pc/patches file
> that tells quilt where to find the debian patches and dpkg-source
> would create that file (or rather quilt when it gets called by
> dpkg-source the first time).

Why not. Feel free to work towards this.

> >> Additionaly I think it would be nice to be able to rename the
> >> debian/patches/debian-changes-version file or merge it into a previous
> >> patch. Maybe we could have
> >
> > Same answer, it's not really dpkg's businees IMO.
>
> Running quilt rename does not alter the .dpkg-source-applied file and
> dpkg-source currently insists on using that file even when using
> quilt. Any objection to making dpkg-source not create that file in
> quilt mode?

.dpkg-source-applied is not used by dpkg-source, it's only created
by dpkg-source for the purpose of analysis by some external tool.
I'm not convinced that it was a wise choice, but it's difficult to
back out now that the existence of this file is documented in the stable
dpkg.

Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/