Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 14:34:41 +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Do, 12 Mär 2009, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > - can you prepare a dpkg experimental package that does not ship ii but
> > >   depends on install-info?
> >
> > As per the transition plan dpkg will still ship a dummy script that
> > warns the users, this way we don't need dpkg to depend on install-info.
>
> Hmm, so the install-info should *not* ship a /usr/sbin/install-info
> wrapper but leave that to dpkg.
>
> > So you only need to add a Replaces against dpkg. Also you should be able
> > to upload this to unstable whenever you are ready w/o waiting for anyone.
>
> Hmm, why should I need that if dpkg ships the wrapper.

In my mind and from the requirements from the transition plan the idea
would be to make the new dpkg install-info version mostly a no-op and
just warn, that should be fine because as long as no info-browser is
installed it should not matter if the dir file is not up-to-date. This
also avoids breaking all packages that unconditionally call install-info.

But the Replacing install-info from the new install-info package would
work normally, so that stuff like “make install” from local sources
would work. The only minor issue is that for awhile we'll get duped
work done by the maintainer scripts calling it and the triggers
regenerating the dir file. A solution for that could be to make
install-info do nothing if called from inside a maintainer script by
checking for the DPKG_RUNNING_VERSION environment variable for example
(this can go once the wraper in install-info disappears).

Hope this clarified.

> > > that would mean a shell/perl script as /usr/bin/install-info that in
> > > turn calls /usr/bin/ginstall-info, and warns in case we are called with
> > > a non-supported argument.
> >
> > Either that, or extend GNU's install-info to accept the other old
> > arguments as no-ops. Once all Info files have been fixed the wrapper
> > could be replaced by the real thing.
>
> Better to have a wrapper, patching install-info is a pain.

Sure, that's up to you.

regards,
guillem