Re: Please test master branch and update-alternatives in particular

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:24:15 +0100
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as some might have noticed I largely rewrote update-alternatives,
> corrected bugs and implemented most features requested in the BTS.

Hmm, maybe I left it too late to put my own request into the BTS for
update-alternatives. :-(

> With any change of this importance, and despite the (relatively extensive)
> test-suite which covers most important actions, I expect that we'll find
> small problems, in particular in the user interface or in messages
> displayed.
>
> Please compile and run the dpkg in the master branch and report any
> problem you might have with update-alternatives. TIA.

Something that may not have come up before, I'm looking for a way for
update-alternatives to fail gracefully if things like man pages simply
don't exist on the filesystem. (Emdebian doesn't have manpages but
the Grip flavour does have other targets of alternatives - Crush
drops alternatives completely.)

Currently, I'm using a config package to replace the current
update-alternatives with a minor change that brute forces things to
make update-alternatives exit with zero instead of 2 in the quit
subfunction. Yes, I know, it's a hack but I needed to get it fixed to
get Grip working and planned on getting a sane implementation in a few
weeks time and bringing it to dpkg at that time.

Just from the bare outline, is there a good way of implementing a fix
for this?

I can create a file in /etc/ that update-alternatives notices in order
to change behaviour, that seemed like the best initial approach.
(Doesn't have to be in /etc/ actually.)

Does update-alternatives need to fail noisily / die if the target of an
alternative does not exist? (thereby breaking the install). Has this
been looked at before?

--

Neil Williams