Re: Managing apt/dpkg/debconf configurations.

Hello Mathijs,

Mathijs Kwik <bluescreen303@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to have some tool/collection of scripts to be able to
> diff/apply system/packaging related stuff.
> It should be able to have a branching/merging workflow like git.
> let's call it 'debdiff'
> example (just a brainfart):
>
> (after installing a basic system)
> - (un)install some packages
> - reconfigure some debconf settings.
> - manually edit some files in /etc

> I would just like to know if there's anything close to the process I
> described.

I don't know of one. Nearly one year ago, I had a project for which I've
planed to write a system comparable to yours. But I've got removed from
the project in the planing phase and never had written any code for it.

But I've two suggestions for managing configuration files in /etc. The
first is etckeeper. <advertisment>The second, as you mentioned git, is my
etcgit. It hooks into apt-get and records the original configuration
files shipped with the packages in one branch and the local configuration
files in a second branch. It also hooks into ucf to get the original
configuration files managed with ucf. But you must be familiar with git
and it lacks every kind of documentation! But I welcome and help every
tester. Are you interested?</advertisment>.

http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jo-guest/etcgit.git;a=summary
deb http://alioth.debian.org/~jo-guest/debian ./

Bye, Jörg.
--
chinesiches Sprichwort:
Wer fragt, ist ein Narr für fünf Minuten.